Open Call for Entries
FotoFocus is excited to announce a Call for Entries to curators, artists, and communities in the Greater Cincinnati region to activate the FotoFocus ArtHub during the 2018 FotoFocus Biennial. The FotoFocus ArtHub is an inflatable pop-up project space that can be used for exhibitions, installations, performances, workshops, projections—we are looking for creative approaches, so don’t hold back. Projects should embrace this year’s Biennial theme, Open Archive—an exploration of how we organize and care for the unruly abundance inherent in lens-based art—and we encourage ideas that bring together community spirit and collaborative efforts, in alignment with the organization’s lens-based focus.
FotoFocus will award $10,000 in support for the selected ArtHub project, which will be on view October 3–7, 2018 in Washington Park, across the street from Music Hall.
Proposal Deadline: Monday, April 30, 2018
- $10,000 award to support execution of proposed project
- FotoFocus will cover expenses to install the structure, manage permits, and pay security and fire department staffing needs
- Applicants must have a proven track record of bringing ideas into action
- Applicants must be committed to fulfilling all of the requirements and expectations outlined in the guidelines and in further conversations with FotoFocus
- Applicants provide proof of identity and must complete a W-9
- Applicant must understand and accept tax liability for funding received
- Applicants must submit FotoFocus Survey after completion of the project
- Applicants are responsible for “staffing” the space during open hours
- Applicants must use FotoFocus 2018 Biennial branding for any promotion of the project and tag FotoFocus in any social media promotion/coverage
- FotoFocus ArtHub capacity is approximately 50 persons depending on final layout and footprint
- Programming and materials
- Supplies and equipment
- Installation support
- Applicant announced: Monday, May 14, 2018
- Installation: Monday, October 1, 2018
- On view: Wednesday–Sunday, October 3–7, 2018
- Deinstallation: Monday, October 8, 2018
Each proposal must include:
- Proposed project narrative
- Bios for applicant, including artists and/or curators involved in project
- Support materials: up to 10 images of work samples including support sketches for your proposed project for the ArtHub
- Electrical needs
- Schematics for any build-outs in the space (required for FotoFocus to secure permits)
Please email your proposal by 5pm (EST) on Monday, April 30, 2018.
Send all proposals to Submit@FotoFocusCincinnati.org with “ArtHub Proposal, Your Name” as the subject line, and attach all materials. For any additional questions about the proposal process please email them to: Submit@FotoFocusCincinnati.org
FotoFocus ArtHub will be located at Washington Park, across the street from Music Hall (Spot #9).
- Inflating the ArtHub takes about half a day
- ArtHub will be installed Sunday, September 30, 2018 with support from FotoFocus and Applicant
- ArtHub does not include any temporary walls
- Interior is very reflective. Displays on monitors/screenings are difficult to view during daylight
- No open flame
- Electrical is hidden within a wall form in the middle of the structure (see diagram below)
- Wall Form will include wall texts for FotoFocus Biennial and ArtHub project
- Fire & Electronic Permit tests will be approved by the City of Cincinnati before and after the installation of the program
ArtHub Wall Form
The Wall Form is a six-sided tower, comprised of eight-foot-tall plywood panels (each are 46 inches wide). It is approximately 38 square feet in diameter.
The Wall Form was fabricated specifically for the ArtHub, and its use is mandatory. The structure supports the emergency lighting system, conceals the electrical components, and allows for wall texts. It must be installed directly in the center of the ArtHub.
Dimensions and Layout
Download this Open Call for Entries for the FotoFocus ArtHub as a PDF.