FotoFocus presents the finest in photography and lens-based art that is artistically, intellectually, and academically rigorous and supports programs that are accessible, educational, and enriching to a diverse public.
Founded in 2010 in Cincinnati, Ohio, FotoFocus is a non-profit organization created to celebrate and champion photography as the medium of our time through programming that ignites a dialogue between contemporary lens-based art and the history of photography. This programming includes the Lecture and Visiting Artist Series and FotoFocus Biennials. FotoFocus supports programs throughout the region and has awarded more than 85 grants to regional artists and institutions since 2012 for the production and presentation of photography and lens-based art.
Lecture and Visiting Artist Series
In 1996, FotoFocus founders launched the Lecture and Visiting Artist Series. Since its inception, more than thirty-five internationally-renowned photographers have visited Cincinnati including Doug Aitken, Gregory Crewdson, Thomas Demand, Philip-Lorca diCorcia, and Laurie Simmons. Every lecture is free and open to the public.
Launched in October 2012, the FotoFocus Biennial is a regional, month-long celebration of photography and lens-based art in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Biennial brings together the community to celebrate October as the Month of Photography. Visit the FotoFocus Biennials page for more information.
In addition to the Biennials and the Lecture Series, FotoFocus continues to support visual and educational projects within the photographic realm that align with its mission. FotoFocus has provided support to the Cincinnati Film Society project presented at the Cincinnati Art Museum; the Fractured Atlas lens-based project in Havana, Cuba; the screening of the film Punctured by artist, William E. Jones, at the Arles Photography Festival in southern France; the FotoFocus Symposium “Mapplethorpe + 25” held this past fall at the Contemporary Arts Center; and the symposium’s follow up discussion at the New Museum in New York. This symposium and conversation marked the occasion of the 25th anniversary of Robert Mapplethorpe’s historic exhibition The Perfect Moment in Cincinnati and is an example of the outstanding programming developed by FotoFocus in its partnerships.
Who We Are
- Mary Ellen Goeke, Executive Director
- Kevin Moore, Artistic Director and Curator
- Nancy Glier, Deputy Director of Finance and Administration
- Carissa Barnard, Deputy Director of Exhibitions and Programming
- Sarah Klayer, Director of Events and Engagement
- Alyssa Konermann, Communications Manager
- Jacob Drabik, Designer and Project Manager
- Kristin Riepenhoff, Participating Venue and Project Coordinator
- Anastasia Nurre, Development Associate and Assistant to the Executive Director
- Hunter Clem, Outreach Liaison and Office Assistant
- Ryan Elliott, Project Assistant
- Brian Emch, Project Assistant
- Bruce Halpryn, President and Treasurer
- Barry W. Andersen, Secretary
- Donnell J. Bell, Director
- Maureen France, Director
- Melvin Grier, Director